BlueScope Steel Process Facility
- Cost efficient design of the large spanning roof structure.
- Stormwater management strategies.
- Pavement and floor slabs designed to carry 70T axle loads.
- Use of fibre reinforced floor slabs to decrease construction time.
- 2007 Australian Steel Institute Awards - Winner: Structural Engineering Design Award
- 2006 Master Builders Association Excellence in Construction Awards - Overall Winner
- 2006 Master Builders Association Excellence in Construction Awards - Winner: Commercial / Industrial Building
The Design and Construct contract for BlueScope Steel’s new integrated process and logistics facility involved 14,000m² of building, 65,000m² of hardstand pavement and 1km of freight rail internal to the site. The site is located on Abernathy Road, Forrestfield, adjacent to the Tonkin Highway.
As the lead consultant, Pritchard Francis was responsible for civil, structural, rail and building design services along with coordination of all sub consultants.
Significant issues included a cost efficient design of the large spanning roof structure, detailed analysis of pavement and floor slabs to carry 70T axle loads, and stormwater management strategies that resulted in cost savings compared to traditional solutions.
Close coordination and liaison was required with the Client for detailed design and construction of pits and foundations for specialist machinery.