Curtin University Medical School
- Deltacore planks to achieve spans.
- Precast facade panels removed from critical path.
- 15m internal clear spans.
- Large cantilever elements (12m and 7m transfer walls).
- Feature precast columns and beams.
- Precast concrete facade panels.
- 2017 Concrete Institute WA Awards for Excellence in Concrete - Winner, Commercial Buildings Category (Awarded to Pritchard Francis and Georgiou)
- 2017 Master Builders WA Bankwest Excellence in Construction Awards - Winner, Best Education Building (Awarded to Georgiou Group)
Curtin University Medical School is a state of the art Teaching & Learning Facility which forms part of Curtin University City Master plan at the Bentley Campus.
Pritchard Francis was engaged by GHD Woodhead and Curtin University to undertake the civil and structural design for this high quality, sustainability focused project.
Curtin Medical School was a particularly challenging concrete project and pushed concrete design to its limit to achieve the architectural design intent. The structure is primarily precast concrete with 400mm Deltacore planks utilised to achieve the 15m clear internal spans which maximises future flexibility. The building also achieved a 5 Star Green Star rating and is classed as industry leading in its sustainability attributes.
Thorough structural design and detailing, in conjunction with close communication with Georgiou, enabled safe construction of the project to take place within a tight programme. A key element of this was removing the precast façade panels from the critical path early in design phase.
Pritchard Francis is pleased to have the opportunity to demonstrate concrete technology in achieving iconic buildings.