Youth with a Mission
- Reuse existing building facade.
- Reuse and install additional level over original mezzanine level
- Incorporating existing facade into new building.
- Retain existing mezzanine and printing pits.
- Australian Steel Institute Awards 2012 - Finalist
This challenging project took an existing 1970s industrial building and transformed it into a modern iconic building. The multi-use facility includes a large, column free general purpose meeting space, industrial kitchen, large communal dining area and residential units.
A new four storey steel framed building was built inside the shell of the existing structure. The original brick perimeter wall and internal suspended concrete floor were reused.
By successfully engineering and integrating the new structure into the original, the environmental impact was minimised by the reduction in the amount of new materials used which also reduced costs and construction time.