Water Corporation - Balcatta
- Design for disassembly principles
- Specifying pre-fabricated bolted steel connections wherever possible.
- Reusing a large section of the existing building, to minimising project carbon footprint.
- Cement replacement in structural concrete to achieve Green Star requirements.
- Design of retention system to retain all stormwater on site, including living stream and nutrient management system.
This significant office development for the Water Corporation tripled the size of their existing facility, enhancing the whole facility to a high level office grade.
Sustainability was a key focus of the project, which is submitted as a 4 Star Green Star office development. Cement replacement and prefabricated steel facades assisted in the structural sustainability, with significant effort being put into the sustainable use of water in the car park and landscaping.
To provide for the upgrade of the Water Corporation office in Balcatta, additional parking needed to be provided as well as separation between commercial and operational components.
A new site access road and median opening was constructed from Balcatta Road to the rear of the site allowing the existing access to be reduced to visitor parking and provide better pedestrian access across to the building.
The upgraded car park provides for at-source stormwater nutrient stripping and infiltration for the sustainable use of water and reduced environmental impacts.
To further enhance buildability and coordination this project was fully documented using Revit.